Green paint on old internal wall (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Completely new to diy so please bear with me.

We have stripped the wallpaper of the stairway to find this what appears to be a thin layer of green paint on top of the plaster board.

It is flaking in places but also well adhered in others. We plan to wallpaper the stairway. Couple of questions -

1) could this be lead paint? If so, how’s best to deal with so I can paper over it?

2) if it’s just some kind of primer applied to the plasterboard, would I be ok to sand it down then paper over it?

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3816.jpeg
    IMG_3816.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3817.jpeg
    IMG_3817.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3818.jpeg
    IMG_3818.jpeg
    445.3 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
That's not plasterboard. I can see old lime plaster and a wooden corner bead.

Buy a lead testing kit as cheap

Oh, ok, thanks. Does the fact it’s lime plaster make any difference? If it’s not lead, what’s best approach to prep for papering? Thanks.

Read up on lime plaster. Confirm that's what you have.
Reading up will give you the information you require.
Have you cavity walls or single skin? You can tell which by the external brick pattern if you're look up what to look for.
Lime plaster needs to breath as you don't want to seal walls. Can still apply wallpaper but the correct sort.

Sponsored Links
Oh.

If not lead paint scrape off green paint.
Try sticking duck tape on and pulling paint off is another way.
Patch fill wall.
Size the wall
Lining paper
Paper over

Look up the information regarding products for lime plaster as I've said

If it's old lime plaster, linseed oil gloss paint was common in a kitchen as it can be scrubbed. You can actually strip it with a hot air gun and scraper but it might release lead fumes. You can get a sample tested.

If it is not oil paint it will be distemper, which can be scrubbed off with boiling water but does not dissolve in cold. Distemper is usually in pastel colours as it is mostly chalk. It is very difficult to redecorate and you will need lining paper.

Yours looks like distemper to me.

Many thanks. It is lead (bought test strips).

Any help on how to deal with this so we can re paper would be much appreciated.

Thanks. I’ve just looked up distemper paint and i don’t think it’s that. It doesn’t scrub off. (We tried steaming it but it didn’t budge) and the other tell tale signs I’ve read don’t happen. It is definitely lead though.

Is using lining paper just the only option?

Thanks.

Lining paper is great as a surface that can be sanded back.

The caveat being that you use a random orbital sander connected to a dust extractor.

The lining paper will be thicker than the old paint ridges, meaning that you can sand it without needing to be concerned about cutting in to the old paint.

Other decorators might use a very soft filler like Easifill on the edges of the paint and then sponge it smooth with a wet large tiling sponge.

Without knowing which paper you are planning to use, it is difficult to advise further.

Are you planning to use a "paste the wall paper" or a "paste the paper" paper?

Given that you are a novice, I would probably recommend going for a "paste the wall" paper. They have a woven backing. That means that you don't need to worry about oversoaking a thin paper and finding that it stretches too much.

Thanks. We have already bought the paper which is a paste the paper type. I’m ok at wall papering but wasn’t planning on having to use lining paper! If I levelled off the edges and smooth off, could I then just paper over the top (the green wouldn’t come through?)?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks. We have already bought the paper which is a paste the paper type. I’m ok at wall papering but wasn’t planning on having to use lining paper! If I levelled off the edges and smooth off, could I then just paper over the top (the green wouldn’t come through?)?

Sorry for all the questions.

The green should not leech through. Just paper over it if you are happy that the wall is flat enough.

Thanks. I spent all day yesterday scraping off the flaking bits of green paint but this morning, it’s like I’ve never done it - there’s loads of flaking edges appeared overnight. Can I still put lining paper over these flaking edges (ie will the paste stick them down again?) or will it be a never ending circle of scraping and re scraping!?

You can use a fine-surface filler.

Use a broad metal flexible filling knife. Press hard and flat. You can press it so thin you can see through it.

Zinsser sell a product called Peel Stop. They claim that it will seal/lock-in loose edges.

Personally, I use SBR (it works for me and is much cheaper).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back