Green rad pipe and brick work - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
68793734-F21D-428A-8592-F4AD92018871.jpeg
Can anyone shed some light on this? I have a rad pipe going through laminate and floor board that is green/blue when passing through brickwork under floor - see pic

Not sure if there has been a leak but no evidence. There is no insulation on any of the pipe work; could this be the problem?

Reason I am checking under floor is because I have had signs of damp but on internal wall and came across this.

Sponsored Links
Gille, good evening.

The green appearance on this pipe, "verdigris" is a direct result of moist air over a period of time allowing the formation of the green appearance.

If you think about old roof domes on historic properties that appear green is a result of rain and moist air combining to cause a reaction in the copper, hence the green colour appears.

Under your floor, the air is slightly, or greatly damper than the air inside the room above, result is that the Copper pipe will turn green, but, this process will have occurred over a long period of time, it would appear that the pipe you are concerned about is an older 15.mm or 20.mm flow or return to the Rad.

If you had a leak, then there would be a very pronounced "thicker" more intense green mark or line down the lower section of the pipe.

As an aside? if you have reasonably easy access under the floor, you may wish to consider that you insulate the Central heating pipes, even go some way further fit insulation to the underside of the flooring? Just a thought.

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back