Green stuff on my Ideal Standard gold coloured shower head

The acid concentration in vinegar / lemon juice isn't going to attack gold plate - its the medium which applies it - i.e it mustn't be rubbed in with anything abrasive like a pan scourer.
I'd give it a go with an old soft toothbrush, but if you like try this on a small area that you can hardly see.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I tried it with white vinegar and a toothbrush.

It is still stuck on solid but white now, not green.

Any ideas please?

Thanks for help.

Try some bathroom/limescale cleaner on it.

Don't be too worried about the shower head as you did let it get in this bad condition in the first place.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is that Viakal stuff still available? Brush a bit over the white stuff and it should start to dissolve the limescale......slowly!

Try some bathroom/limescale cleaner on it.

Don't be too worried about the shower head as you did let it get in this bad condition in the first place.

Andy

Thanks but no I did not let it get in this bad condition in the first place and I do worry because the gold is lovely and I don't want to damage it.

All of the limescale cleaner I have seen states it must not be used on gold, is there one that can be?

Thanks for help
mygoose

Is that Viakal stuff still available? Brush a bit over the white stuff and it should start to dissolve the limescale......slowly!

Is that Viakal spray, paste or gel or does it matter? Is it OK for gold?

Viakal is available from Amazon.

Thanks for help
mygoose

I haven't seen it for a while, but if I recall its a blue liquid which is maybe available in other guises.
I don't think you've any option but to give it a try, really.....if you suspect its creating nasties then simply rinse it off.

Burnerman thank you. I have ordered Viakal (not received yet) but to no avail.

Disaster! The white bits are where the gold plate has come off with the vinegar.

I shall now need a new one. Further to previous comments about eBay, I see there is one similar to mine on eBay for £79.99 with damage similar to mine.

In the meantime mine does work with the spray unblocked.

We are in a very hard water area and it just leaves me to ask how to avoid getting a new gold one blocked again.

Thanks for help.
mygoose

If vinegar can dissolve gold plate I suspect there's something not quite right here......maybe its not gold at all?
Either way, its time for a reappraisal of this issue, even if it means buying another pattern of spray head somewhere.
I wouldn't use any more products on this one.

If vinegar can dissolve gold plate I suspect there's something not quite right here......maybe its not gold at all?
Either way, its time for a reappraisal of this issue, even if it means buying another pattern of spray head somewhere.
I wouldn't use any more products on this one.

No, I wouldn't want to use any more products on this one as there isn't anything more to be done with it.

I shall now need a new one

We are in a very hard water area and it just leaves me to ask how to avoid getting a new gold one blocked again.

In the meantime mine does work with the spray unblocked. The gold plate appears to have lifted around the edges

Thanks for help.
mygoose

The gold finish is just peeling away....I guess its just the end of the line for that particular product.
However, if you look at the Bristan website, under taps, you'll find traditional shower heads available in gold (I think the traditional 1901 is the one) - which could suit you.
Expensive, yes but really first class quality.

Thanks.

The question really is how to avoid getting a new one blocked again. We are in such a hard water area.

mygoose

Modern shower heads usually have a 'rub clean' spraying surface - the rubber used is very pliable and any residue breaks away.
As for the outside, just rub it down with a cloth every time its used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back