Green water came out of mains supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Been away for a month and turned off the water supply to the property and drained the water in the pipes by opening all the taps before I left. (closed the taps when drained)

When I came home and turned on the mains supply the first water that came out of all the taps was green.

This doesn't seem right somehow and I don't fancy drinking water with something in it.

Any ideas what it was... Algea that had grown in the pipes?? Rusty copper gone green???

Ta

Sponsored Links
You could take your own sample then contact your water Co or ask them to come and sample.

Should be a free service.

Anyone is the street with the same problem?

Is it still green after a good flush?

All you need to do is to run the tap for a few minutes to flush out stagnant water.

Tony

After a lot of messing about with the boiler prior to going away the pressure dropped to 0.3 whilst i was away and not sure if i have a leak in the pipework or it has gone out the PRV. Monitoring the situation now but have filled up the system with fresh water and there is a chance this may be partially green water...

Obviously all the inhibitor i put in the system previously has gone so should i be very worried about this?

Sponsored Links
Obviously all the inhibitor i put in the system previously has gone so should i be very worried about this?

Yes, your system may corrode very quickly without inhibitor, which can cause all sorts of problems.

I would say dont worry!

In a sealed system the use of inhibitor is very questionable.

We are told that in Germany its not used at all.

Tony

I would say dont worry!

Tony

is that working on the assumption that when all the oxygen is used up it cant do more damage?

Its based on experience with a large number of clean systems.

Of course as you say, if there are no leaks, once the O² has been used up then there is no futher suply of any comtaminants to a sealed system.

I was called to an OV system which was nearly 30 years old. The old fellow wanted me to come and drain and refill and add inhibitor.

I instected the system, F&E tank, took some water from drain cock and a few bleed screws. All beautifully clear and all rads were working properly.

I told him there was no point as it was in very good condition.

Of course I did not charge him anything either.

Tony

PS This Newgas fellow is asking a lot of questions and learning a lot! When he has got some product specific knowledge he is going to be very good! Watch out some of you older people!

what about electrolitic corrosion?

ps. i,m going to be better than you soon eh Mr T. ;)

i don't think you have anything to worry about,

yet!!:cool:

PS This Newgas fellow is asking a lot of questions and learning a lot! When he has got some product specific knowledge he is going to be very good! Watch out some of you older people!

that's what this forum is for isn't it?????????????

I would say dont worry!

Tony

OK I am still monitoring the pressure but if i do lose some pressure then this would suggest I have a leak and this would also mean o2 entering the system via the leak point, wouldn't it?

Also I have to say that the system seems to be quieter than before we went away. I do have all the rads TRV's on Maximum at the moment though, could it be that? Could it be that as there is no restriction on the flow through the valves it is quieter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back