Greenstar 37CDI and gas pipe size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just after a little bit of advice. We have had a Greenstar 37CDI installed now for nearly 3 years (5 bedroom house). Boiler has been fine until we started getting an EA error. Boiler still under warranty so Worcester came out and cleaned the condensation tray (or something similar). Seems to have sorted the problem. However, the engineer noted that the gas pipe size was not sufficient from the meter for this boiler. He stated that the amount of gas (not sure what the right phrase is) feeding the boiler should be 18 but we are actually getting 15. I tried to get from him what the implications are and he said the boiler wouldn't work efficiently. I remember that when the boiler was installed the installer did mention that we may need to upgrade the gas pipe but in the end he decided this wasn't required. My question is really about what are the long term consequencies of running the boiler in this way. As mentioned, we have been trouble free, haven't noticed any degradation or issue in heating or hot water so I'm trying to understand if the expense of upgrading is required - as ever, not an easy job to run a new gas pipe from the meter. I understand that the boiler may not be 100% efficient based on worcester feedback but I'm the expense of running a new pipe will be more expensive. I am going to ask the installer to come out again and provide his input on the matter as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
There is no point in bothering him.

The boiler will work fine.

The gas supply is undersized and does not comply with the regulations.

It seems as if it was always intended that you would pay extra to upgrade the pipe.

We would charge £60 plus £15 per metre to upgrade to 28mm from 22 mm. ( us keeping the old scrap tube. )

Thats assuming its reasonably accessible.

Tony

An under sized gas supply is an At Risk situation.

The Worcester guy, if he did measure it correctly and got those figures, should of, with your permisssion, shut the boiler off, until the fault is rectified.

As Tony has said, it will work Ok, but doesnt comply with regs

Graham

An under sized gas supply is an At Risk situation.

no it isint, its classed as ncs if the boiler has MINIMUM burner pressure, AFAIK there is no minimum on HE boilers unless the mi,s state otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments so far. It is all a little strange. We had British Gas service the boiler only 3 months ago (previously we had the installer do the service). The British Gas engineer didn't mention anything about the gas pipe size and said the boiler was working at is optimum efficiency. Mind you, the Worcester engineer stated in around about sort of way that he can't see much evidence of the boiler being serviced (no cleaning of elements? and would expect the condensation tray thing to be cleaned) so not sure who to trust.

If I understand correctly, the boiler is considered at risk (I'm pretty sure this is what the worcester engineer said). However, the only risk is that the boiler will not work efficiently (although it seems to be according to British Gas)? I'm not expecting the boilers life span to be shortened significantly or the whole thing to blow up? As a note, we also have a gas fire and gas hob (electric oven). Not sure if this has any bearing on the situation....

Thanks again for the advice!

Hmmm, that could explain something. The Worcester engineer turned on all my gas hob burners at one point. He didn't really explain why. However, I did watch him and the burners and didn't see any reduction in flame when they were on. I assumed he was testing to see if the hob would go out when the boiler was firing (although he didn't say anything about this). I think the gas fire runs from a different pipe as it is connected to an outside running gas pipe at the front of the house.

If risk exists - is this the primary risk and has nothing to do with the boiler being at risk? - perhaps a CO2 detector in the kitchen!

the engineer was checking to see if the hob was affected by the boiler firing on full gas rate, did the worcester engineer check the gas meter ?

Yes - he spent quite a bit of time at the meter although not sure what he was doing (he wasn't very chatty)

I think I would ask gas-safe for an inspection, if the pipework is undersized it should be put right.

To be fair we are not there so can't jump at the undersized pipe band wagon, fact it's ncs end of glowworm are a prim example will work perfectly at 14mb as some rural areas can only just get this, if it was at risk the worcs engineer should have shut it down, he didn't because he could get sued if he did. It could be that the govner is fubared on the meter we can't tell this. I would be more concerned that British gas didn't clean the trap out to be honest. If you are that worried get a second opinion as a 10 min if that test will tell you if it's the gov or gas line.

To be fair we are not there so can't jump at the undersized pipe band wagon, fact it's ncs end of glowworm are a prim example will work perfectly at 14mb as some rural areas can only just get this, if it was at risk the worcs engineer should have shut it down, he didn't because he could get sued if he did. It could be that the govner is fubared on the meter we can't tell this. I would be more concerned that British gas didn't clean the trap out to be honest. If you are that worried get a second opinion as a 10 min if that test will tell you if it's the gov or gas line.

why do you think I suggested an inspection ?

Picasso i was reassuring the op as he has said he dosent know who to believe out of the worcester, bg engineer. Then there all different answers above.

Theres always the possibility that the meter guvs not working right.

Was the hob fitted before or after the boiler ;)

I write on benchmarks now, what appliances are on the system as it would be the first time some dozy ****s put a gas hob in after Ive gone , in place of an electric one not taking into account the supply for the existing boiler.

We dont know all the facts lads :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back