GREENSTAR REGULAR BOILER:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18Ri (non combi) boiler and intend to drain the system to carry out some work. I noticed that refilling requires the boiler to be vented through an airvent and an attached tube that has to be routed away from any electrical components. There is no mention of a tap on this airvent - is there one or is it automatic??

As this work requires removal of the boiler cover do I need to have a plumber carry out the work or am I allowed to do it? I would of course isolate the system and only touch the airvent and tube - the boiler cover is simply held on with 4 screws.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
It's attached to a manual tap, but as your boiler's casing forms the safety room seal it should only be removed and refitted by a Gas Safe Registered engineer

Thanks for your fast reply.
That's a pain and a lot of expense. I have to say when the boiler was serviced a few weeks ago the guy was fairly casual about replacing the cover, it was hardly a precision operation and he didn't make any subsequent check on the soundness of the seal. The boiler is located in a toilet/utility room which is rarely used. At least I can probably drain the system and save some time and money.

Sponsored Links
I've since discovered this is a debatable topic. An electrician may intend to deal with an entirely electrical boiler problem but not be qualified to remove the cover. it also seems to depend whether the cover is acting as a seal or is purely for noise insulation. With my Greenstar 18Ri boiler, as you say, the cover is a room safety seal.

Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back