Grenfell fire - how safe is Kingspan, Celotex and Quinn insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Given the recent fire, I spoke to a couple of the above rigid board insulation manufacturers only to be told that their products are combustible but have fire certificates.

Whilst these products will be contained within the cavity walls or behind plasterboard, should this still be an issue for fire safety when concerning houses? I appreciate that houses will be smaller than large tower blocks and the probability of getting out or jumping out to safety is much higher, but should this still be a valid concern?

Sponsored Links
In grenfell the primary issue was the fire compartmentalisation failed, so the fire spread to other areas.
In a normal house there's usually only one compartment, unless you have 3 storeys, in which case your stairs should be protected usually.
If you have your insulation in the cavity or above the loft, chances are you'll still be able to get out.
The number one thing I'd say is test your smoke alarms.

There's a thread about grenfell started by Johnd (no relation) that's got some information. https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/who-knows-their-way-round-building-regs-fire.484157/

Yes I read the other thread you refer to but started this one as I felt it deserved its own subject as it related to the particular product.

The fact of the matter is, these products are still made of combustible material. Perhaps there is nothing else on the market that is fire resistant, but if there was, I think the subject should be discussed at the appropriate levels.

Sponsored Links
You have a point, but there are also gas pipes that could explode but that doesnt change the fact that if certain products made of polyethylene or whatever other plasticy type stuff that is going to burn and give off toxic gasses or combust like that, should it still be used. How is this any different to what was there in the Grenfell building?

It's based on height, as a building gets taller you're less likely to notice a fire elsewhere and more people to evacuate and longer distance to evacuate over, plus more other flats to potentially be on fire below or above yours.
So for every additional floor and room beyond a single story one room dwelling, you're adding huge danger.

It wasn't that long ago that the default insulation product was Rockwool, which is pretty fire proof. I've fire tested it myself when adding it to my loft and actually used it to protect timbers when soldering pipes. I also added it under my stair case before attaching double plasterboard. The problem is, the newer insulation boards are about twice as thermally efficient, which make it a lot easier to hit U value requirements. As long as its encased in something flame retardant/non-combustible it can do an effective job of slowing a fire.

As has been said - fire alarms (and I'd add at least one fire extinguisher) on each floor is more use. There is a lot of timber in a house, not to mention PVC or wood windows.

Standard plasterboard has a 30 minute fire rating. Your internal doors, furniture, appliances etc will be well alight before that gives out.

Yup, all valid points. I guess irrespective of those points though, they are still going to be used. Will be interesting to see how things change from a building regs perspective going forward and how manufacturers adapt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back