Grey concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, this sounds so silly but it's been vexing me for ages.

How do you make grey concrete?

The only concrete I've ever made (OPC & builders sand) is buff.

I want to do a pour job in the garden and would like the industrial grey you see in cast concrete, hell at this point I'll take a grey pavement finish!

Many thanks in advance.

Marc

Sponsored Links
Sadly not.

I want to pour some walls and countertops and need them to be grey like the pre cast stuff you see.

I know if you buy it bulk and pump it it will be grey but it's not that big a job.

If you have mixed OPC and builders sand you'll know it's not grey.

Obviously I'm missing something simple but that's why I asked.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what the big cast guys use to be honest, probably just non-red sand.

I've just mixed a load of black mortar for my extension build (blue engineering blocks and black mortar below dpc). Basically if you use black mortar tone you get varying shades of of grey which gets darker until eventually black the more tone you add to the mix.

If you mix OPC and building sand, you get mortar.
To make concrete, which is crucially very different to mortar, you mix cement with ballast or sharp sand/aggregate. I’ve done that a lot, and it’s never not been grey.

There we go, the aggregate!

Theres no yellow sand in fine aggregate.

Like I said, simple.

Thank you very much.

You don't use building sand for concrete. Funnily enough, you use concrete sand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back