Grinding brick into dust for brick repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a few YouTube videos to get the brick colour to match on a few brick repairs.

I've seen the likes of stonelux which offer brick repairs and paints to touch up etc but the video was quite interesting in grinding the original house bricks up and running that through lime mortar.

Yes or no?

If yes, what is the best and easiest way to grind them into a dust enough to put into mortar?
If no, are we down the the stonelux kinda of products that give a something like match?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I thought I'd be clever once and used mastic followed by pressing brick dust into the surface. It looked nothing like.

I've used Stonelux, it's excellent stuff and almost completely invisible. I can confirm that for me and my monitor at least the colour guide on their website was accurate.

My suspicion is that it you use the exact brick then you'll get a darker colour, as it's suspended in clear glue so has a darker wet look. So to end up with the right colour you'll need to start with a lighter brick.

This is just how long I've been procrastinating over it. I bought the colour chart about 5 years ago but lost interest as I couldnt decide on the colour match. Not helping on being colour blind!

My idea was grinding/chipping away the face of the damaged brick. Mixing the dust with lime mortar and building it up. To get the brick pattern. Plaster of Paris the brick and use as a "stamp"

Way too much fuss, and plaster or lime are white so it will be some kind of awful bleached pink.

Just buy the proper stuff, I can confirm from personal experience that it's excellent. They use some sort of clear resin, probably a glue or varnish or similar. Our bricks have a very heavy pattern but I found it really wasn't necessary to copy it. Basically fill the hole, press/scrape flat and it's gone. Think I used a paintbrush to rough it up a bit.

Sponsored Links
A mate of mine is an extremely good brick pointer. He uses everbuild mortar tone.

Where brick faces have only slightly blown, he uses mortar on the brick face and when dry, he mixes the above product with pva and water and brushes it on to the repaired area.

It really is impressive. And if I am decorating the exterior after, I ask him to leave some on site so that I can cover up old paint splashes on the brick work.

If its a clay brick you can hit it with a lump hammer until there is nothing left to hit.

It's the old bodgers trick to fool the customer or the site manager and get paid. It will last until the first frosts.

If its a clay brick you can hit it with a lump hammer until there is nothing left to hit.
Exactly, Ive been doing similar for years with different sandstone to disguise concrete that couldn't be easily replaced with natural material...texture can be varied depending on how hard one crushes the stones.
Ive done similar outside 4 years ago and its as sound as a rock
1700863428123.jpeg
1700863534900.jpeg
1700863716623.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that concrete impressed with a stone effect and then painted with crushed sandstone? Nice work. What approach did you use to make the outside so durable?

Is that concrete impressed with a stone effect and then painted with crushed sandstone? Nice work. What approach did you use to make the outside so durable?
No not impressed, I cut into the concrete bricks to make them more stone like then raise the surface of each with different coloured crushed stone .

Attachments

• ADA7B064-233B-4CEB-BB71-49EAC3724734.jpeg
    ADA7B064-233B-4CEB-BB71-49EAC3724734.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 3E5F263D-07A4-4792-9E0D-4DBC703664BD.jpeg
    3E5F263D-07A4-4792-9E0D-4DBC703664BD.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 8D8EDA2F-8FD1-4758-8A8C-C9DDF5F68D22.jpeg
    8D8EDA2F-8FD1-4758-8A8C-C9DDF5F68D22.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 38

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back