grit in the water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had problems in the past with ceramic taps fitted in a new kitchen. The hot tap started to drip after about a year and the plumber who looked at it said it was due to grit in the water. This was sorted out but happened again 3 times at which point I changed the taps for traditional taps with rubber washers. No problems since.

About 3 years ago I had a new bathroom with a Iflo shower which started to become really difficult to turn on and off and then dripped. Eventually I couldn't turn it off and it was running all the time. I contacted Iflo as it had a 3 year guarantee but they said there was damage to the cartridge due to grit in the water and this was not covered by the guarantee. A replacement cost over £80 plus the plumber's labour charges.

Frustrated with the amount of money this 'grit' was costing me I contacted Welsh Water who after visiting the house assured me that there was nothing wrong with the water supply. There is no evidence of 'grit' anywhere else, ie washing machine, kettle, water jug etc.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to stop having problems with the shower again?

Sponsored Links
have you got a cold water tank in the loft?

how old is your house?

is the water hard?

No cold water tank in the loft.

The house is 85 years old but the mains water supply and the internal pipes were replaced about 30 years ago. The outside pipe is black plastic and inside pipes are copper.

The water is soft.

Sponsored Links
How much would a filter cost and is that a DIY job or would it have to be done by a plumber?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back