Grit and stones in ball valve for 2nd time in three months

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? I am a Property Manager for a Lettings Agency and we recently had a ball valve replaced in one of our Landlords properties. The plumber found that it was full of grit and stones. He has been called back to the property and found that again the ball valve is full of stones and grit. He tells me that the only thing that could have caused this is a crack in a water pipe somewhere and that I should get in touch with the water board.

Has anyone else come across this? Could it be anything else?

Thanks for any help you can give me.....!

Sponsored Links
Leaks in the supply would normally let water out, not the grot in.....
Filters are available if its a continuous problem - Toolstation 79459.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Or it could be works that have been carried out in the main road.

Andy

+2.

That happened to me, when the supplier did some repair to the service pipe serving my property. I had turned off the mains stopcock when they isolated the supply, anticipating a load of silt. When I turned it on, I should have isolated the riser and flushed out the service pipe through the garden tap. I thought I'd let my neighbours use the mains first and get all the crap in their pipes. I forgot that bit; new float valve required on the loft tank.

Put a strainer in upstream of the float valve.

Report it to the water supplier. They should take note since it suggests the mains is open to contamination. Send them the bill for any further repairs.

Or it could be works that have been carried out in the main road.

Andy

+3
We had a burst main in the road about a mile away, when the pipe was repaired the silt and grot travelled down to us totally blocked the water meter, water board came removed meter by passed the stop valves we had to run the water continous for about a week before it really cleared.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back