Gritting sliproads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the wealth of expertise and experience on this forum, someone should surely be able to answer this: who grits the sliproads?

Tonight it is below freezing round here. As I drove out earlier on, I saw the gritters out in force. Driving back just now, it struck me: the motorway gritter lorries would have to make two complete passes in each direction of the motorways in order to grit all the carriageway and then all the sliproads.

Howver, the council gritters only grit the local roads. Motorway restrictions apply to the sliproads so don't fall under the council remit.

So, as I gingerly pressed the arresting pedal, I did wonder if the tarmac beneath my car's boots had been gritted.

If the sliproad had been gritted, who did it? The motorway fairies? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Local roads for local people is the council yes.

The maintenance of the motorways and the A14 is the Highways Agency. maybe it's them. They might sub-contract it out to the local council - who knows?

as you say it would require 2 circuts of the motorway network so i would suggest they do the complete motorway then backtrack onto the slip roads

by which time if its not too cold most will probably be clear due to grit dragged off the motorway and "A" roads onto the sliproad by traffic

Just grit your teeth, look out ... be paying for that soon.
:D

Sponsored Links
Oooh, the recommended order to clear a three-lane motorway!
The recommended order of clearance on a three lane motorway is as follows:
(i) Plough centre lane snow to left hand lane.
(ii) Plough left hand lane snow to hard shoulder
(iii) Plough hard shoulder snow to verge.
(iv) Plough right hand lane snow to central reserve.

Which begs the question: what if a freakish amount of snow fell on the M25 during a night? There is a section near Heathrow that is 5 or 6 lanes in either direction!

I guess they just grit the bu**ery out of it and hope for the best, or presume that the M25 is never clear enough for the snow to settle :LOL:

Back