Grooved old /new decking - paint (&removal) queries!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My question comes in two parts: I'm currently installing new decking in an area of 18sqm. I already have existing decking which I'm extending! This existing decking is in decent condition bar the green paint peeling off. I've pressure washed the deck and removed about 50% of the paint, alot of paint is still in the grooves! Very annoying to get out. The best method I can see is scraping it using a shavehook paint scraper - anyone got a better method?! I'm planning on sanding down the old deck area, is a belt sander worth while buying? Or should I just hire a big floor sanding machine for the day instead?

Question 2: Stain vs Oil: I've googled for a long time now, the pro's vs con's. Baring in mind I have old decking and new, should I be going with a semi transparent stain? I'm worried that I've spent so long stripping the old paint off, that i'll have to go through the hell again next year if it peels again!

Thank you for reading :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back