Ground Level Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, apologies if any of these points have been answered in any previous posts. I have just spent the last hour trawling through previous posts and cannot find the answer which is why I am posting.

I am going to be laying a 3m x 3.2m ground level decking directly on to soil. The soil is very compact and firm and I intended on placing concrete slabs at sufficient intervals and resting the decks joists on these for support.

However, I still have a few questions I would like answered if possible.

The decking will not be attached to anything from either side, in effect it will be a 'floating' deck but I am still worried that as the decking it is still not that big should I achor it to the ground somehow? and if so how? or will the weight of the decking keep it in place?

Secondly, as I said before I will be resting the decking on concrete blocks but should I lay these blocks directly onto the soil or cement them in place to avoid them sinking?

And finally, is there anything else I should take into consideration to avoid damp / rotting / movement that I have not mentioned above?

Any info or help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Having the decking delivered today and looking to get it down as soon as possible so any help on the matter would be really appreciated!

Thanks

all quite straight forward. the weight of the deck will hold it in place. you can bear it on blocks, but they should be on a concrete bed. we always build our decks on timber legs concreted into the ground. much better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back