groundwork to support mesh reinforcement for raft ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just dug out over the weekend in prep for the raft foundation of my extension. I have a question regarding details under the raft. The SE has drawn 100mm of Type 1 and the 75mm of lean mix blinding on top of type 1, all underneath the raft. Can anyone tell me why the blinding is necessary, SE mentioned something about stopping mesh support chairs sinking into type 1, but if I buy the mesh supports that are on small concrete blocks I presume I don't need to do this blinding layer.

Would ask the SE, but as its the weekend.....

thanks

Sponsored Links
Just use concrete and forget about stones. Unless you need the height?
Hard to beat a hard/level surface for laying down re-bar.

I've already got 5 tonne of type 1 sitting on the drive, the thing is the ground is also very hard clay which the digger struggled to get through, can't see anything sinking into that thing, so thinking just put the type 1 down, whack it, then mesh on top leaving out lean mix blinding. Otherwise I'll have to dig down another 100mm possibly, which I don't want to do.

All it needed was dug to the right level and then a skim of concrete.
No need for all that faffing around with stones and whacker plates. These guys in their fancy offices have some funny ideas.
Even re barred direct to the hard ground would do as long as its level.
If it rains though it might get sticky.

Sponsored Links
Lattice type stools won't sink into the whackered type 1. Even bricks should be ok. Depends on the spec of the steelwork. Smashed up paving slabs make good stools.
We use a 22 ton daewoo to do the whackering. :mrgreen:

thats whats I thought, although there are specific products to elevate the mesh by 50mm from base, there must be cheaper and equally as suitable solutions for this. Gonna go ahead a whack down the type 1 anyway and see where that leaves my levels before deciding next move.....thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back