Grout between tiles horrible, better to replace grout or go for new flooring (laminate)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Another job we are getting around to only just now (4yrs after moving in) is the grout between the tiles, which is just terrible at this stage.

Initially we had thought about getting laminate flooring and just ripping this stuff up but I am concerned that this is too difficult a DIY job, what with the toilet and cabinet to go around so thought that maybe we would just replenish the grout. I bought a manual tool but it just makes a rivet in the middle rather than clearing out the grout. If I use a carbide blade on a multi-tool will it be relatively easy or are we looking at days worth?

Very interested to get your opinions on what you would do i.e. replace grout or replace entire floor? Also interested to know if laying laminate in a bathroom would be difficult for amateur DIYers or worth a go. It would be our preferred option perhaps but if replacing the grout is a far simpler job then we would definitely go that route!

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to lend us their time.

Regards
bathroom 1.JPG
bathroom 2.JPG

Sponsored Links
I cut all my grout out, as it was the wrong colour... I used a hoover and Stanley knife and before you ask around 28 sq m.

Mine was the next day, so Probably still soft-ish.

You could try this, If that doesn’t work, then I would probably try grinding it out, but the dust will be a bugger.

Personally I’d rip it up and retile/wood as I don’t like laminate.

I’ve got solid wood in mine (bamboo).
The last three bathrooms I’ve done have all had solid wood, it’s not the problem most think it is... maybe if you are throwing about all the time.

I cut all my grout out, as it was the wrong colour... I used a hoover and Stanley knife and before you ask around 28 sq m.

Mine was the next day, so Probably still soft-ish.

You could try this, If that doesn’t work, then I would probably try grinding it out, but the dust will be a bugger.

Personally I’d rip it up and retile/wood as I don’t like laminate.

I’ve got solid wood in mine (bamboo).
The last three bathrooms I’ve done have all had solid wood, it’s not the problem most think it is... maybe if you are throwing about all the time.

Jeez you cut it all out with a stanley knife wow! I don't envy you for doing that, must have taken an age but yeah I guess the softness helped. This grout is as old as the hills and so is rock solid and really baked in!

I'll take a look at wood as I didn't really think of that as an option and had thought it would just be too expensive. I like the sound of Bamboo though, lovely colour and a good material to use for the conscience too!

Thanks for the tips.

Sponsored Links
I can see at least one cracked one do any sound hollow when tapped. Whoever them down at least got them set out right.

yes there are definitely a couple of cracked tiles but they aren't nearly as unsightly as the grout and so don't really bother us all that much. We have it in mind that we may want to sell sometime in the future so want it to look as good as possible for that, as well as for us in the meantime!

I think one or two of the tiles are a little loose as they do seem to move slightly when stepped on, surely not a good sign! One or two do sound hollow very slightly, what does that mean?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back