Grout failing in Shower! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
trust your advice,

Leaking shower in own palace , I feel the problem is water ingress through the grout joints. I used waterproof grout wen installing so can't explain the micro cracks found in the grout joints under close inspection.
Tiles are expensive and have non available so need to be careful if I start removing the grout what tool does one favour for this. Are the Dremmels appropriate.
What is the very very best product to regrout with and can where can I get it today or tomorrow.
The missus is on my case, she don't like baths...

Sponsored Links
I cant comment about why the grount cracked, or what you should re-grout with as i dont know your room or walls etc.

What i can advise a bit on is removing grout.

Its a horrible job, i avoid it at all costs.
I used to charge the same to re-grout a shower as i would have to re-tile it (tile cost not included).

I never used power tools to do it, never fancied the idea. Might work well for all i know though.
That leaves grout rakes.

There are 2 types generaly, ones with blades like saws, and one with blades like diamond files.

The second type works better and doesnt blunt as quick. Be carefull though, they will easily put deep ugly scratches in your tiles. Its also very easy to chip the glaze, dont twist the rake.
Its also easy to chip corners, pay close attention at tile corners. The better its been tiled (neatness of corner joints) the easier this job is.

When did you grout it? If its within a week or so it will rake out easier than if it was months/years ago.

The very very best grout is epoxy grout and is the only grout that is totally waterproof.

The next best is a powered branded grout like Bal/Mapei or similar and if what most pro's use but will allow small water in, not normally a problem is whats behind has been done properly.

Third type is the ready mixed tubed diy rubbish from B&Q.

Sponsored Links
apart from epoxy, all grout will let water through. waterproof simply means it wont break down when in contact with water.

Raking out is a complete PIA.

You honestly need to establish where the water is coming from before you go ahead, it could be a corner seal or the base seal - or even badly fitted shower screens (silicone on the inside is a classic)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back