tile shower tray grout waterproof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi new on here help please just finished refurb bathroom and have put in new shower have grouted with bal superflex and realy like the finish all joint between bath and tile and shower tray and tile grouted look good bal say there grout can be used in swiming pools so i would very much like to leave this as the finale finish ie no silicane on bath shower joins will this be water proof or must i silicane and spoil the look
thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
BAL & others may well say their water proof products can be used in swimming pools but the thing to understand is that (apart from expensive epoxy products) water proof adhesive/grout is only waterproof to the extent it will not break down when damp/wet; it will, however, still absorb water! You should not rely on grout where the tiles meet the tray, it will definitely crack & even the smallest crack will suck in water. I leave a 2mm gap, run one silicone bead between the top of the tray & underside of the tile, cut the nozzle slightly wider & run a second finish bead between the bottom corner of the tile & top of the tray. It’s also good practice to run a silicone bead down the corner joint between two adjacent walls as you can get cracks here due to movement or differential expansion between wall materials. Properly done, silicone looks equally a neat as grout & most would struggle to spot the difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back