Grout near double glazing window frame HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening, I have recently have got my very own property and in a bit of a panic as all 3 bedrooms need moderate DIY work, but its major work by my own standards.

Going to post photos from the 3rd bedroom and the work needed from here.

The window seal looks pretty darn ugly to me. I understand the black stuff is grout and Ive bought domestos grout buster and going to be given it a thorough clean and hopefully it should all come out.

Then Im planning to scrub the window seal (spelling) with sand paper and that will be re-painted.

Last issue I see there is the white adhesive or filler where the grout is on top of is very messy. How do I resolve that?

I will be very grateful for all advise given.

And yes the wallpaper is going too but I need to pay attention to the major defects first.

Sponsored Links
This looks to me like its a combination of old filler and grout. Personally I would strip it all out and start again. The best stuff to use is Silicone sealant for use on window frames.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

yes ive taken advise from friends, starting using the bleach on there and its comming on well and looking much clearner.

Once all the black crap is gone will peel off and relay all the sealant.

I will be very grateful for all advise given.

Loose the nets!!! Unless you're 92 years old, in which case keep them, as they will go very well with your varicose veins!

Sponsored Links
The black mould has probably been caused by condensation which in turn is caused by lack of ventilation. In your refurbishments try to incorporate some ventilation solution or at least don't restrict the airflow to the affected room/s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back