Grout Sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I'm after a grout sealer to waterproof my grout on my tiles around my bath /shower tiles. Whats the best stuff on the market?

Thanks

james

Sponsored Links
There are many grout sealers available, some may be cheap crap but which one is best is very subjective & more to do with personal experience/choice than anything else.

Can I ask why you feel you need one?

Probably not the best product choice but never mind. Frequently misunderstood is that unless it’s an expensive epoxy based product, all waterproof adhesive & grout is only waterproof in the sense it wont disintegrate if it gets wet, it’s not impervious to water & will still absorb it. That’s why it’s so important that the tile base in wet areas is waterproof, otherwise it will disintegrate if water gets to it; this is the cause of most tile failures. Generally a good base & waterproof adhesive/grout is enough in all but wet rooms which should be tanked but it depends on the tile base; what have you got behind the tiles?

Sponsored Links
Behind the tiles is unibond adesive and plaster onto render onto blockwork.

Would the sealer give a waterproof layer? as a retro install?

thanks

J

Nothing wrong with a plaster over render tile in good condition & I normally wouldn’t use anything else other than a quality trade waterproof adhesive & grout; almost exclusively BAL for me. Unfortunately your adhesive is an even poorer choice than the grout you used; it has one of the worst reputations of all for failure & no trade tiller I know would ever use it. Can I ask what size/type are your tiles & which Unibond adhesive you used?

Grout sealer may help in your case & I’ve had a couple of good reports about this one;
http://www.leafcutterdesign.co.uk/lithofin-groutprotector-05ltr-p-103.html

Google will bring up many others but it’s important the grout is clean & dry when you apply. Sealer would normally be applied a day or so after grouting before the shower is used so you will need clean off all traces of soap or shampoo etc. or it may not stick.

I used one of the adhesives from B&Q I know I know.. in hindsight and all that! It was actually really nice to work with and set rock solid. The tiles are 450*300mm porcelain tiles. It looks the mutts nutts for my first every tiling.

It was a case of not doing my research prior to the job which normally doesnt happy. Anyway, the shower has only been used a handfull of times so I'll leave clean it and leave it to dry out for a few days then apply the sealer.

Thanks

J

I used one of the adhesives from B&Q
But which one? It should have been cement powder addy with tiles that size; one consolation is that it’s somewhat better than their tub ready mix. ;)

It was cemet based, I at least worked that bit out prior to purchase :)

Like I say, if there is a next time I'll certainly know what's recommended!!

I've bought the Lithofin KF Grout-Protector 0.5ltr, I'll let you know how I get on. THe last thing I want to do is ruin my first bathroom install with damp problem :(

Which bal product would you recommend for future use?

CoXen

I've been through a similar learning process and instead of digging out the grout from two shower cubicles I'm going to try the Lithofin Grout Protector. An update on it's performance would be good to hear after a couple of years? Has it done a good job in keeping out the water from the joints and how often have you needed to reapply?

Well,

I've started to get some slight mould lines on the edges of the tiles in some spots over the bath. I think this because too much grout got washed out when applying. in areas where the grout is all but flush with the tile it's been fine.

After application, you can see the was bead on the grout.

That was a VERY quick reply, much appreciated! It sounds promising to me, maybe a reapplication once a year to be safe. Definitely a lot easier than digging out two recently installed cubicles I'd say...

porcelain tiles should have been sealed prior to grouting then sealed again after which is why your tiles have stained, fila will last alot longer than lithofin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back