grout sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to use a grout sealer soon after grouting?
I have noticed the Bal supaflex going white in places, but where the tiles will be covered with units i tried a grout sealer i had and this turned the grout nice and dark.

Sponsored Links
Showers shoudl not be used for 14 days. I’m not entirely sure what your trying to achieve; if you used white grout, it will dry erm ----- white :confused:

lol.
It is a kitchen floor, grey (or should be) grout.
Think the hard water here causes the whiteness.

Ah yes, re-reading your post I see where I went wrong, at least with the colour anyways :LOL:

The only way for water used in both the adhesive & grout to escape is through the grout lines & it can take 2 weeks or more to dry out thoroughly. Although sealing won’t unduly affect the chemical cure of cement based grout & adhesive, sealing too early will trap any residual moisture, probably why it looks darker when first laid. This will dramatically slow or even stop the drying out process which is not a good idea as it can lead to mould growth in the grout. The staining might be effervescence if your in a hard water area & stiff brushing may remove it prior to sealing which will also darken the colour slightly.

Sponsored Links
I read somewhere white viniger and warm water can help ( to clean the grout) when this happens. Any truth in that.
Maybe i should boil the kettle allow to cool then use that to mix the grout in future?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back