Grouting Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Been tiling like a goodun' for the past few weekends and it will soon be time for that old favorite the grout.
I have tiled in the past (by no means an expert) and i have previously used an adhesive/grout in one which was a bit of a pain to say the least.
This time i have used decent adhesive and i am planning to use powered grout to do the groutage but i have a couple of questions.
1. What brand should i buy - i have seen BAL grout which looks the business but its a bit expensive and Tops Tiles do one which is half the price - is BAL that much better (the tiles are wall based in a bathroom).
2. The gaps on my tiles are 3mm but what i want to ask about the adhesive that comes through when a tile is pressed on. On some (quite a few) i have adhesive where the grout should be due to my not getting it out at the right time. How much air does there need to be between the tiles? I have a Dremel grout removing tool which is good but dont want to use it if i dont have to.
L

Sponsored Links
All I can say is that BAL grout mixes perfectly in the proportions written on the pack, its smooth as can be and trowels superbly......that'll do!
Get rid of any surplus adhesive to below the tile face level, but don't lose any sleep about it.
John :)

OK many thanks for this. Hoping to grout at some point this weekend. I have a grout smoother tool to run along the grout to make it look nicer but i always have a problem when the lines meet, it there a better method of doing this? Where lines meet it always seems to mess it up a bit

Sponsored Links
I use a kosher rubber faced grout float, then if necessary go over with a damp sponge.
There's nothing like kitchen paper for buffing the surface up afterwards!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back