Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just finished laying my patio and path
now i have to do the grouting
what mix should i be using
also can i just brush it in dry then spray with water after

one more thing
ive got loads of builders sand (orange stuff)
left can i use it to mix

Sponsored Links
acording to Ground Force, they use a weak mix of 6:1 (may be higher) for grouting

6:1 being 6 sand
to 1 cement

so yes you can use your sand, and all they do is throw it down , then brush in with a broom, and do NOT wet it as the cement will stain the slabs

I found the best method was to use a watering can and soak the joints thoroughly, then brush in the 6:1 mix of sand/cement. This way the mix will take up some of the moisture and give a good solid joint. I also finished the joints with a piece of old hose, much as you would for brickwork..

I find it is better to put the water onto the slabs, thereby washing excess sand and cement off of the slabs and into the joints. If you pour the water directly into the joints it is inclined to do the complete opposite, causing staining of the slabs.

Sponsored Links
dont no what ive done then
did a 5-1 mix rubbed it all in and brushed it off
spray it a couple of times
its been realy hot yesterday
in the evening it had dried
but when i pushed it with my finger it turned back to sand and
fell through the gaps :oops:
could the cement be off or somthing

Sounds like you didn't have enough moisture to make the cement go off

could the cement be off or somthing
You'd have noticed if it was. Hell of a job getting the shovel in the bag of gone off cement.

It is possible you over-did the weter. Your aim should be to make it damp. Excessive watering can wash the cement out of the mix leaving just the sand in the joints. This doesn't set very hard.

TexMex said:
It is possible you over-did the weter. Your aim should be to make it damp. Excessive watering can wash the cement out of the mix leaving just the sand in the joints. This doesn't set very hard.

which is why on GF they brush it in and leave it

i get what your saying
guess ill do it again and leave it to nature
the guys at work said leave it
thought i was speeding things up
:oops:
this project has been a nightmare if only you knew
i rebuilt the whole bl***dy house ,re-wired,re-plumed ,re-plastered
etc,etc,etc
but this for some reason this part has been the worst for some reason
i guess its because it the last job

I'd go for a wet mix of mortar. Once it's in place you need to smooth it off with a pointing trowel, a piece of copper pipe or something to get the shape you want. This will bring some of the cement to the surface and give a hard finish. You can just brush it in but you're relying on gravity to get it into the joint.

You can put it in dry and water lightly but I don't think it's the best method - having said that I don't know how wide your joints are (slabs, that is :) ) Narrow joints would be OK for brushing in.

On a warm dry day, make sure the slabs are clean then pour water from a watering can along the joints. Leave it 30 minutes for the surface of the slabs to dry then brush a dry mix of sand and cement along the joints. The mortar mix will draw the water up from below and set.
No cement stains. Simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back