Patio build up question...where does the membrane go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Im about to start doing a patio. Ive dug out the area about 50-80mm down. I have some limestone scalpings I'll be using as hardcore. Do I put the membrane under the scalpings or on top? Also when people refer to a paving slab mix are the slabs laid onto a dry mix or wet mix? I know grouting can be done with a dry or very slightly wet mix I wasnt sure if the same principles are used for laying the slabs.

Also I have two different types of membrane available for the job. I have some woven landscaping fabric (100gsm type) or I have some leftover damp proof membrane from another project. Which would be better for the patio? Im keen to use the dpm so I can used the landscaping stuff for other areas in the property.

Thankyou for your help

Sponsored Links
put under its only too stop sub base and sub layer {ground) from mixing not for weeds they will grow in base layers also 50mm far too shallow as scalpings are usually 40mm too dust

Sponsored Links
Lol nope not a traveller very settled here. I just remeasured and have about 100mm under the slabs if not more (after digging the area continiously for the last 4 evenings). Ive put the DPM stuff down I wanted to use up and have so far barrowed about 12 lots of scalpings. If I get a chance i'll upload some pics. Area of patio is roughly 7m by 5m.

The scalpings we ordered from earthline were 20-40mm no dust apparently. Although it rained so that could be masking the dust.

I wouldn't have used the DPM, any water that passes through will be trapped.

I ended up making slight holes in the DPM with a craft knife all over to try and prevent this. I also took more earth out at the point furthest from the house to encourage water to run away. I saw a youtube vid that said to do about 30mm run off on the patio but i guess it depends on the patio size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back