Patio Laying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to relay a patio area at the rear of my house and am confused about what to bed the slabs onto. The patio is only ever going to have foot traffic, BBQs, etc.

I have read on one website that a mix of sand & cement (10:1), dry, is fine and bedding a slab at a time, rahter than screeding the area would be best.

However, I have seen others lay then on a wet mix, which looked like regular cement.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
There are many sites that give you differing advice. I found this one http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm pretty useful and laid my flags following their guidelines.

From what I can gather (and a small bit of experience) if it's not going to take much weight then you're OK with a good bedding layer of 10:1 sand/ cement mix. I did consider using a wet mix but in the end it seemed to be too much hassle.

For info, I estimated the quantities OK but having used a bit of rubble as a base I found I had too much sand left over. However I'd bought it from Travis Perkins and they took back the excess (it was bagged) and gave me a refund which I thought was pretty reasonable. (It also meant my wife was happy not to trip over five bags of sand every time she tried to get into her car.) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back