Growth on wall after bubbling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help? I put skim on about 3 weeks ago it bubbled in few places. 48-72 hours ago I took a bubble off and just noticed this growth. Any ideas?

Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20240131_195237524.jpg
    PXL_20240131_195237524.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20240131_195124868.jpg
    PXL_20240131_195124868.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Seen it in my house. My theory is wall is salt poisoned due to coal fires in the past and combustion products reacting with lime etc. to form salts in the wall. When you apply a new wet trade, the water absorbs the very soluble salts, and then as the water evaporates from the surface as the plaster dries (or dab), it leaves a salt deposit on the surface. The salts are hygroscopic and draw water vapour out of the air to grow crystals.

In my case I see this effect (to a far less and controllable degree) coming out where the dabs are on a PB overboard of a wall where I know a coal fire burned every day for over 100 years.

In the worst areas around the fire places, I have SBR slurried the bare brick wall in the affected area and then fixed PB over with foam adhesive. Seems to have cracked this nut 100%.

If it's a small area only, I would cut a square back to brick (diamond wheel in a grinder - dusty but neat, or if the plaster is soft, maybe a multitool which is less dusty. Not hammer and chisel - you'll likely drop the whole wall if it's old plaster), fix in a piece of PB with foam, chamfer the edge of the original plaster around the cutaway, scrim the joint and skim over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back