Grrrrrr, god damm leaking cistern!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seriously fed up with this cistern (close coupled toilet from B&Q).

I've sorted one leak and now another. Where the flush valve goes through the bottom of the cistern it will not stop seeping, which results in the top of the pan filling up with water and the water seaps out between where the bottom of the cistern comes into contact with the top of the pan.

I've tightened the back nut as tight as I can. I'm now contemplating either using a ton of SLX leak sealer around the washer or simply taking the crappy thing back to B&Q. What should I do? I'm amazed they are are allowed to sell these things, especially in a DIY store. How is the average DIYer supposed to do anything other than follow the instructions?

Also, the large foam washer is now deformed because I've had to take it apart so many times.

Sponsored Links
from my experience of changing siphon's in close coupled cisterns, the donought washer plays a massie part!!! any slight tear or nick in it and you will get water-usually dripping behind the back of the pan, escaping through the wing nut holes.

was the donought washer in good condition before you assembled it ??

Try a new donut from a plumbers' merchants, then if that doesn't work chuck it back at B&Q. I bet the back of the cistern isn't vertical either?

Correct, the back of the cistern isn't vertical. I had to use 2 x 3mm packers when screwing it to the wall because the lid wouldn't fit on IF the back of the cistern was up tight to the wall.

The donut isn't even a problem yet, the flush value is leaking WITHOUT the donut on:

Flush valve
Rubber washer
Bottom of cistern
Plastic Washer
Backnut

This is what's leaking. If I fill up the cistern with water without connecting it to the pan, I can see exactly where the leak is coming from. It's seaping out from the plastic washer.

Sponsored Links
from my experience of changing siphon's in close coupled cisterns, the donought washer plays a massie part!!! any slight tear or nick in it and you will get water-usually dripping behind the back of the pan, escaping through the wing nut holes.

was the donought washer in good condition before you assembled it ??

The donut was fine before assembly, it's simply of a matter of it being compressed and not returning to its original shape

Oh lovely. B&Q quality strikes again.
The water SHOULD be stopped by the rubber washer, so a replacement washer, or a load of something like Fernox LS-X each side should do it. Ordinary silicone would work if it all started off dry.

That should keep you busy for the rest of the afternoon :rolleyes:
(WHy do we put up with this sort of rubbish!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back