grundfos 15-50 buzzing/humming (soundfile attached)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I've been living in this flat for two years and about a year ago this humming sound started. As it only occured very infrequently and not very loud I've never bothered to call the landlord. Recently this noise got a bit louder and I would like to know if there is anything I can do, before I call in a plumber.

The sound is coming from the pump: Grundfos UPS 15-50x18

and sounds like this:
http://www.mynetcologne.de/~nc-rantach/grundfos.mp3

Apologies for the bad quality, sound + image were taken using a mobile phone. I suggest to use earphones and to turn up the volume to hear the noise I am referring to.

The pump is connected to a PulsaCoil III Boiler, which heats overnight. The noise does not necessarily occur during heating, but it does so more often than not. I have already tried to bleed the pump, by loosening the silver screw with a coin until water came out. The water tank on top of the boiler has ample water supply. The noise turns down (interval stays the same) if I reduce the pump level to 2 or 1 using the switch. It's currently set to 3

So now I am wondering:

Does the problem occur from the pump or is it likely to stem from the boiler?

Have I bleeded the pump correctly?

Is there anything else I can try before I call a plumber to take a look? If it is likely that the pump needs to be replaced (building is 9 years old) then I could purchase one in advance and get it replaced instantly.

Any input to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
My advice would always be for a tenant to leave it the the landlord to get it sorted out.

I sometimes have to advise a landlord to deduct the cost from the tenants deposit where they have fiddled and caused damage!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back