Grundfos MQ 3-35 0.55kW Boost Pump- has packed in can I still have heat??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My faithful old Grundfos MQ 3-35 0.55kW Boost Pump has seized up, my own fault and I have to wait a few days for a new one. Same model so should be able to fix it myself. In the meantime I have a closed CH system and occasionally I hear booster come on when heating is on, its only for a brief spurt so I am assuming its topping up CH. But can I have my heating on even though the booster pump is off. The booster pump is for the taps and power showers.

The reason the Grundfos MQ 3-35 0.55kW Boost Pump is gone is that it was allowed cycle when water was switched off, I know I know, I should have unplugged it. I did try for airlock, capacitor and drained pump.

Help

Sponsored Links
If this is for your taps and shower, then it has no interaction with your CH system. If you hear the pump coming on now and again then it may be you have a leaky tap or a dead leg and the pump is just re-pressurising the system.

Thank you for quick reply. I can relax now. As an aside what does dead leg mean?? The system has been going for 14 years and as I had never used taps without the booster I am shocked at the lack of pressure.

I cant get a plumber to call and fit new pump so I am going to do it myself but the bit that puzzles me on the u tube video is about venting? Mine has a gravity feed so when I open tap it will fill pump or am I missing something.

The vidoe shows as if water is drawing from a well and I can see the logic of venting.

Sponsored Links
Venting is required depending on how the pipework is orientated. If the pipework rises above the level of the HW cylinder/cold water cistern then air can be trapped at the highest points and needs to be vented otherwise the pump will not run properly or can be damaged.

That being said you do need to prime the pump regardless (run all air out till only water before the pump is run).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back