Grundfos Pump Issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Great forum here guys (and girls?) - a real credit to you who take the time to contribute - I’m a long time lurker, but now I need some help if possible.

My central heating pump, the Grundfos Alpha 2 15-60 130 - the boiler fires up, pipes are all hot - pipes around hot water tank warm, pipes at divert or valve all warm but the pump isn’t running, it displays what can only be described as the display on the pump flickering (wiring all secure, nothing insecure) - short video below.

Then, after maybe an hour the pump will start to run with a slight whirring noise that calms.

Any ideas, pump in the way out?

Thank you in advance.

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Thanks Oilboffin, the only stats I know about are the one in the hall and the one in the airing cupboard which is for the hot water tank I believe. I’ll need to have a look around...

So is it normal for the flickering of the display on the pump? When it does fire up there is a slight gurgling too - so by the sounds of it I’ll need to bleed it.

Thanks.

You can't bleed these. I'd wire it into a plug, plug it into the mains and see if it does the same thing. If it does, it's knackered, if it behaves normally your problem lies elsewhere

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks muggles, I just read somewhere online about running it on speed no. 3 to try and self bleed?

I’m going to try the plug truck over the weekend - so simple, yet ingenious (which is why I drive tankers, rather than be a tradesman lol)

Just to follow up on this, I tested it on a plug - done the same thing (flickering lights, not running) - so Muggles thank you.

System drained and flushed through with fresh water a few times, pump replaced, 3 port valve replaced (was on the way out), inhibitor added, I now have heating that is very quiet and heats up quicker than before (as previously said, the boiler was heating the water but the pump just stayed idle for 30/45 min before it began circulating causing system noise too which is gone).

I also added Hive after reading some of the posts on here regarding fitting/wiring - very simple process replacing the aging Potterton EP2002!

I can’t thank this forum enough, it is now this DIYers first port of call for all projects!

Charlie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back