Problem with Grundfos Alpha 2 pump stalling

BGT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three days ago I installed a Grundfos Alpha 2 pump. Initially all appeared to be well and the system starts up and runs well for 2 hours in the morning. However if we turn the heating on around 2pm then by about 6pm the heating system has stopped and the pump shows “ - - “ on the LCD display. Increasing the thermostat set point will not restart the pump and the only way to get everything going again is to power the whole system down for several seconds and restart it. The pump then appears to run OK for a while but then goes back to the “ - - “ display. The pump is running in the Auto mode and usually displays around 20+ watts when running. Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
According to the Alpha fault finding chart, "--" means:

a) Electricity supply failure. Might be too low. Check that the electricity supply falls within the specified range; or

b) pump blocked.

Use a multimeter to check the voltage going into the pump when the problem occurs. If it is below 240v, it is probably a wiring fault - post details of your system for a diagnosis and repair advice.

The Alpha pumps are supposed to be self-unblocking; they do not have the silver screw in the middle like the older pumps.

I agree that they are the meanings of that error code but I do not understand why it runs OK and then there would be a voltage drop and recover when I switch it all off and back on. Same goes for the blocked pump, expecially when it is a new pump and the old one showed no sign of problems.

It is a sealed, pressurised system running around 1 bar. It is an 8 year old Potterton Profile boiler recently serviced by BGas. There are diverter valves for hot water and central heating and a manual bypas valve. The thermostat is a Honeywell DT92E wireless unit installed a couple of months ago. The programmer is a Drayton Lifestyle installed about a year ago. There are TRVs on all except one rad.

The system was running well, but noisey and hard to balance until the Alpha 2 was installed. Now it is quite and heating all the rads when it is running.

I do not understand why it runs OK and then there would be a voltage drop and recover when I switch it all off and back on. Same goes for the blocked pump, especially when it is a new pump and the old one showed no sign of problems.
I agree it's unlikely to be a blockage causing the problem; which just leaves a voltage drop,

It is an 8 year old Potterton Profile boiler recently serviced by BGas. There are diverter valves for hot water and central heating
Are there two valves (left) or one valve (right)?

View media item 11762 View media item 5946
The Potterton profile has pump overrun, which is controlled by a thermostat in the boiler. The pump needs to be wired directly to the boiler. Did you do this? The thermostat could have failed; you need to monitor the voltage while the pump is working and when it stops.

Sponsored Links
There are two diverter valves and the pump is wired directly to the boiler. The thermostat appears to be working fine as it is showing boiler demand at the appropriate temperatures. Measuring the voltage at the pump will be difficult with the type of connector they use, but I will try to measure that next time it happens. It ran OK yesterday.

There are two diverter valves and the pump is wired directly to the boiler.
So you have two valves as in the picture on the left? For future reference, that is a zone valve. The one on the right is a diverter valve.

The thermostat appears to be working fine as it is showing boiler demand at the appropriate temperatures.
I was not talking about the room thermostat or the temperature control thermostat on the boiler. I was referring to the pump overrun thermostat, which is inside the boiler. The purpose of this is to keep the pump running for several minutes after the boiler goes out; it stops the boiler overheating. This thermostat can go wrong and cause the problem you have.

Do both zone valves end up closed during the overrun period and if so is the bypass working as it should?

Worth checking all that is mentioned above, but try giving Grundfos a ring, they might have answer straight away.

Turned out to be a faulty pump which has been replaced under warranty. The replacment seems to be running well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back