Grundfos RIP

Sponsored Links
are they metal or fibre like ,can't tell from photo ( my kit is giving me grief )

Sponsored Links
It's a normal domestic central heating pump connected to a mixture of 22mm & 15mm copper pipes for radiators & hot water. It's been in since the house was built in 2001, so lasted well. It just looks like something has chewed the blades but I'm struggling to understand what could have caused it as there was nothing obvious when I removed the pump

I took a pump out many years ago with that stuff in it never got to the bottom of it,I thought he'd upset the plumber who did the work,if you've had the house since it was built did you upset you're plumber.Bob

OP my last post was in jest and an in joke on this site, looking at your pics , I think the impeller has had a bit of debris stuck in it and has caused it to over heat and fuse

I've seen similar situations on car engine water pumps where the impeller has come loose on the drive shaft and started touching the internal casing. Could it be that??

Motman, that sounds like the best explanation as the blades look like they have 'melted'. The pump had functioned well for many years so I can't complain. I was just curious to see if anyone had seen something similar. Anyway, the job only took 10 minutes as I simply replaced the pump head.

Certainly a strange one, my first thought was a chemical reaction, then heat through either the impeller rubbing on the housing or something in the housing had jammed the impeller but none of those explain why it has only effected 3/4 of the blades.

Heat or chemicals or both could only have done that... looks like a portion was submerged in volatile fluid or next to extreme heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back