GU10 21 LED Lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLease can someone tell me in simple language about the above, I just dont understand lumens.

I have ordinary 35/50 watt mains lamps as above, dotted around the house. The thought of basically not having to change them, whilst balanced precariously on the kitchen chair, appeals.

However I really have no idea what sort of powerbrightness these LED lamps have. I have the CPC magazine that quotes

Voltage 230v Wattage 1.0 - 2.0W 21 LEDS 50,000 hours

I realise that LED lights consume far less power and heat but what is their brightness like, how for example would it compare with what I already have? If it is similar to say the 35watt it would be fine as these are only on the landing and a couple of bedrooms, but I need more brightness in the kitchen that 50 watt gives me.

Many thanks as always for any of your input.

Sponsored Links
The light output does not help much as the spread is different. I have a 50W tungsten and a 11W cold cathode (florescent) either side of bed head and for reading in bed the 50W is far far better. However for general lighting of room very little difference in them. If anything the 11W cold cathode is better.

So under a kitchen cabinet the 11W cold cathode will give a nice spread of light but on the ceiling pointed at same area because of the larger spread of light it will be very poor.

LED light at 1W is more like using candles but some more power full ones are becoming available and I have not tried them.

Both LED and Cold cathode tend to be bigger than the tungsten and will not fit in some holders.

Don't bother with retrofit LED reflector lamps that use lots of small LEDs, as they tend to break rather quickly, and with many designs on the cheaper units the failure of a single LED can take out a large chunk of the lamp. The type that have one or three Luxeon style emitters and a lens are far better, but expect to pay £15-£20 per lamp for anything that comes close to a direct replacement with reasonable light output.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back