gu10 to e27 adapters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I just joined up and have what is probably an amateurish question. I've recently moved into a flat and my room has recessed lighting in it with 50w halogen gu10 base spotlights. I cannot stress enough how much I dislike these. There are 6 of them in my room pushing a total of 300w, when a single 100w light would light up the room great. What I would like to know is are there any problems with using gu10 to e27 adaptors on recessed lighting fittings

Here is an example on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GU10-E27-LED-...6062698?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item230f0860ea

Is quality an issue, i.e. could it be a fire hazard? Do I need to watch out for what kind of bulbs I buy? I'm thinking about buying e27 CFL bulbs. They wouldn't generate too much heat, and 6 of them, although not good for mood lighting, should make my room nice and bright . Any advice would be appreciated.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I cannot stress enough how much I dislike these. There are 6 of them in my room pushing a total of 300w, when a single 100w light would light up the room great.
Very true.

Try telling that to people planning to install them and see how they won't listen.

Re those adapters, my immediate thoughts were:

Are they CE marked?

They are a lot less than 50mm across, so there'll be an ugly gap between them and the light fitting.

Will the lights take the combined weight of one of those and a CFL?

Nowhere to attach a shade - bare lamps will look naff.

Thanks for the replies. I've looked online at cfl and led spotlights but their light output seems to be an issue from what I've read, plus they are very pricey.

Not sure about the CE. They are from Hong Kong so I'm guessing no. How bad can it be if one of these fail? CFLs don't generate too much heat, but they could short :(. As for the weight, I think the ceiling should be able to hold them up along with the light bulbs. Wont be using lamp shades though, was thinking about plain white bulb shaped cfls, they'll look like white glowing balls on the ceiling which might not be too horrible.... or maybe I'm just kidding myself, either way, the lighting at least should be a lot better.

Sponsored Links
LEDs are pricey but if you are willing to take the hit on initial outlay they should start paying for themselves before long. They will fit in the GU10 socket and only use 10% of the power.

I've bought Interlux GU10s from Amazon which are rated as 400 lumens and have a 120 degree span. They are being fitted in the bathroom next Monday so I can let you know then if they are worth considering.

They can also be plugged in the wrong way, i.e. the screw would be possibly live.

I know they're shrouded etc but it's a definite no-no in the regs. I wouldn't have thought it too much of a problem if the IP rating was sufficient though.

Are they CE marked?

In my experience, virtually everything from Hong Kong is CE marked. And loads of other marks too. They're not daft, they know that marking is a legal requirement, and what does it cost to put all these symbols in the mold?

LEDs are pricey but if you are willing to take the hit on initial outlay they should start paying for themselves before long. They will fit in the GU10 socket and only use 10% of the power.

I've bought Interlux GU10s from Amazon which are rated as 400 lumens and have a 120 degree span. They are being fitted in the bathroom next Monday so I can let you know then if they are worth considering.

How did the LEDs work out?

How did the LEDs work out?

Sorry for the delay - the electrician didnt make it until Friday.

In summary they are impressive. I only had 2 x 12v 50 watt downlighters in the bathroom and wasnt convinced that 2 LED bulbs would be enough(it's a 2m x 2m bathroom). So I now have 3 downlighters, each with a 5 watt LED in. It's not as bright as with halogens but it is bright enough. The warm-white is more 'white' than warm but I got used to it quite quickly. The wide beam angle means there is no spotlight effect, and it works in the bathroom but perhaps less so if you have a high ceiling.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interlux-trade-efficiency-Replacement-halogen/dp/B004KRB7XS

I cant remember how many lamps you said you had in your living room but I would say it is worth trying one or two of these out. Other sites such as homewatt sell similar products but are more expensive.

Hope that helps,

RT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back