Too bright

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 6 down lights in the living room (5mx4m) with 50w gu10 bulbs in (they came with the lights). What's the dimmest gu10 bulbs you can get ? Iv'e taken 4 of the bulbs out for the moment and it's a lot better.

Sponsored Links
Pound World I think it was who sell 0.58W GU10 LED lamps but I am sure you don't want to go that far.

I got some 3W LED lamps from B&M at £9 for three and they work well. With tungsten you can get 10W but likely you will pay more for special 10W tungsten than cheap 3W LED.

Sponsored Links
The whole idea of a quartz halogen lamp is the quartz is that hot the tungsten will not be deposited on the envelope but instead back onto the tungsten element over time the element thickness will vary until in the end one bit will become too thin and it will rupture. When this happens the inside of the lamps gasses can ionise causing very high currents for a few micro seconds this is the flash we see as the bulb fails.

This means two things.
1) Dimmers reduce lamp life.
2) At end of lamp life it can destroy the dimmer.

With the introduction of cold cathode, florescent, and LED dimmers also become a problem in that dim-able versions cost a lot more. Also when you dim any tungsten lamp it does not only reduce the light output be also changes the colour temperature so using the 1/3 and 2/3 split giving three levels of lighting without changing colour is far better and works with LED lamps without a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back