Converting L1 ceiling light fittings into E27-ready fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mods note - moved from your projects forum.
Good afternoon, UK-based DIY-ers

A query from a DIY-novice here:

In their great wisdom, the builders of my flat decided to install L1 light fittings to all 6 of my ceiling lamps. L1 bulbs don't serve my purposes, so I want to convert these L1 light fittings into something that can take E27 bulbs. I understand the best way to do so is to turn the L1 fitting into a GU10 fitting, and then add an E27 adapter to it.

Is this correct? If so, any advice on how to do so? (The more concrete the better: I know absolutely nothing about light fittings)

Many thanks in advance
Beregard

Sponsored Links
Hi Sircere, it's a pendant (hanging light). Hard to take a picture of the inside of the fitting, but it has a small protruding bit that differentiates it from a GU10 bulb and prevents from fitting anything other than L1 bulbs. https://www.mygreenlighting.co.uk/info/lamp_caps.html

Attachments

• PXL_20210307_171210135.jpg
    PXL_20210307_171210135.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 226
Then simply change the pendant, very easy and cheap to do , two wires is all you need to change.

You could change the holder only as well , lots of options , no need to buy a converter

Sponsored Links
L1 refers to a superseded building regulation designed to force new build owners to use energy saving bulbs, for the old BA22d was use three side locator pins instead of 2, with the GU10 a dimple in centre of holder that goes into hole in centre of bulb.

The problem is it was UK only so loads of LED GU10 have not got the hole so in so will not fit.

Not sure if any other L1 versions, but with BA22d people bent the holder to fit the 2 pin version so rather dangerous. Specially as so easy to swap the bulb holder.

The problem with E27 is line and neutral matter, with BA22d it does not, so safest to convert to BA22d.

Thank you Ericmark, Taylortwocities and Sircerebus666, this is really helpful. It's good news the easiest and safest thing to do is just to change the pendant.

Taylortwocities, are you saying replacing my fitting with an E27 pendant is not safe then? I've never heard of BA22D, does it take normal B22 lights?

Taylortwocities, are you saying replacing my fitting with an E27 pendant is not safe then? I've never heard of BA22D, does it take normal B22 lights?

that wasn’t me. It was @ericmark

probably he means that with the screw type lamp holders it is important that the live is connected to the centre contact.

Apologies, my link in post #6 above is for bayonet pendant fittings. Not sure why you prefer E27 lamps? If you want to do that then you can buy just the E27 lamp holder online ;eBay, etc. Or get the whole pendant set from others. Like this
https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/pro...KEDkPDqJHyCFH6lkO28aAkGIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Thank you both. I'm not particularly attached to E27, I had just understood they could fit, but from your advice I now see it's not the best option.

Apologies for one more question, but I'm a complete novice so I'd better cross my t's and dot my i's: did I get you right, ericmark, that I could just go for a new pendant that takes B22 lamps as a good solution, or did I misunderstand? I was thinking of putting Phillips Hue lights in instead. These come in B22 format but not in BA22d...

B22 / BA22d are the same thing. The normal sized bayonet cap in UK homes.

b22d or b22 refers only to the base of the bulb, just the metal part which fits into the socket, not the glass part above it. The “official” name is b22d; b22 is just a common way to refer to a light bulb with a b22d base. So, in answer to your question, b22b and b22 are the same.

If you had originally said that you are going for standard UK bayonet, then we could have reduced this topic to one reply. Just buy some pendant sets from Screwfix per my earlier reply. Get your Philips bayonet lamps. Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back