Fitting GU10 light bulbs into L1 sockets/fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to post a quick status on this since I couldn't find anything while googling. Basically, what happened was that I bought IKEA's smart bulbs with GU10 sockets, only to discover that they didn't fit in my ceiling socket even though they looked very alike.

After discovering this earlier thread about GU10 and L1 sockets I realized that they are essentially the same socket, but that there is a small plastic pig that should prevent you from inserting an older bulb, i.e. a non-low-energy bulb into the socket.

The problem is that there seems to be only one company doing these bulbs, even though there are plenty of other companies that makes low energy lightning. In my case, I wanted to replace a 15 watt bulb with a 6 watt one.

I tried to find any workaround online but didn't find anything, I guess that these sockets aren't that common yet... Anyhow, I figured that I should just be able to cut down the small plastic pig in the socket, and everything should work. I used a small nail clipper, which worked great.

tl;dr trim the small plastic pig in the socket and you should be able to fit a GU10 bulb into an L1 socket

Sponsored Links
I guess that these sockets aren't that common yet...
They will never be common. Doubtful if anyone still makes the useless things.
They only existed to prevent people from inserting 50W halogen lamps into fittings only suitable for compact fluorescent lamps.
As both halogen and CFLs are now obsolete, they have no purpose.

I think they were required for new build, same as the bayonet lamp holders with three side pins instead of two, not sure if the LABC still insist in using them, as now as said no real point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back