Remove broken piece of bayonet bulb from halogen GU10 socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently tried removing a dead halogen GU10 bulb from a recessed spotlight, I did the usual pushing in and turning but it was very difficult to get out and I forced it, so the whole bulb came out intact except for one of the bayonets, which is still stuck in the socket.

The metal bayonet piece is in the position where it should come out (ie just inside the round socket hole), but it just won't come through. I've tried pulling it with pliers (after switching off the circuit obvs), but I can't get it out. It moves around, I just can't seem to pull it through the hole. Any suggestions?! It doesn't seem corroded or anything. Very annoying. I suspect cheap bulbs are to blame.

Sponsored Links
If it went in it should come out, just a case of getting it sguare as possible in the position it would normally be, work it round the groove to the widest bit the hole and then out, long nose pliers are best, failing that use a small screwdriver push it round and gentky prise out.
try not to crack the porcelein, failing that a new holders about 3 quid on ebay that may fit.
Ensure powers OFF before attempting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back