GU10 Bulb Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry the stupid question but how do I replace a GU10 halogen spot bulb fitted in my ceiling? I just can't get it out of the ceiling!

Sponsored Links
Twist it. May need upward pressure (against the lens) if you can't get to the sides.

with ours there is a kinda horseshoe shaped metal ring that goes most of the way round the edge of the bulb, at the ends there are little clips you pinch, then bulb just drops down and you can hold the fitting and twist the bulb out.

Thank you!!!! you can't imagine how happy I am! 2 weeks of trying...

Sponsored Links
jimbox said:
with ours there is a kinda horseshoe shaped metal ring that goes most of the way round the edge of the bulb, at the ends there are little clips you pinch, then bulb just drops down and you can hold the fitting and twist the bulb out.
thats not a GU10. Thats extra low voltage . . . . :rolleyes:

apologies - you say "twist the bulb out" - this would indicate it is in fact GU10. But I never heard of a GU10 fitting with a retaining ring - most have a fixed lampholder and you just twist the bulb out by applying pressure to the lens.

We had a set of ELV which had a "flying" lampholder and retaining ring, which you describe, so the lamp drops down, which is why i automatically thought ELV.

Would be good to see this more on GU10 fittings - makes them easier to change, certainly!

Hi,

I've had the same problem with the GU10 bulb getting stuck. (its a pain as some bulbs do just drop down, while some just stay there)

The clips are taken off and I've tried to twist the bulb but its stuck so fast it won't budge.

I asked the guy at B&Q to suggest something and he reckoned the sucker arrows that kids play with!
Can't find one of those but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be eterernally grateful.

smash through the front glass of the bulb and turn with pliers?

yeah and if that breaks do some more smashing to get something to grip

all with the power off ofc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back