E27 Bulb Doesn't Fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, this is my first post so go easy on me...

I have tried to fit a new bulb in a kitchen ceiling recessed fitting. There are 5, 4 of which work fine with a standard E27 bulb. The last one I couldn't get the bulb to fit - it was too small.

On inspection, I found that the other fittings had a metal ring, which goes between the bulb thread and the inside of the fitting (basically a sleeve). This was probably thrown away with the old bulb when it was removed (we did without this bulb for months when the others were all working!).

I am wondering if it is to step it up to E29? In any case, I have been to DIY shops and electrical wholesalers and nobody can help. Do any of the forum users have a recommendation of where I could get one of these metal rings so I can fit a bulb? Or even where I could get an E29 spotlight to try and fit it?

Thanks, Gareth

Sponsored Links
Can you upload a photo of this?
Has this ring been removed?
There are number of different conversion kits, but lets make sure that you simply don't have a broken end of the old lamp, still in place.

Can you upload a photo of this?
Has this ring been removed?
There are number of different conversion kits, but lets make sure that you simply don't have a broken end of the old lamp, still in place.

Thanks Apprentice Boy for the reply. Unfortunately the lights are at another property (up in Portstewart, I am in Lisburn).

The ring is not there, it is missing when compared with the other fittings. Also, there is no remnants of the old lamp still in the socket as I can see the connections. I have seen E27-E14 conversion kits and also screw to bayonet conversions. I think this one would be an E29-E27 conversion as it is basically a sleeve that goes over the thread. Can't find one anywhere, I was all over Coleraine looking for them yesterday!

Taylortwocities - thanks for the reminder...

Sponsored Links
Can you find out who made the fitting? if you can have you tried contacting them.

Can you find out who made the fitting? if you can have you tried contacting them.

Hi plugwash, yes I probably could but have just rented it out and am unlikely to be back there for a few months... I remembered to do that when I got home last night :rolleyes:

TBH, never come across E29/E27 conversion, be surprised to find one, as you have very little difference in thread size, to engineer an inner sleeve. I would confirm the actual size of original lampholder and type.

Sounds more like part of the holder has come out rather than an adapter,
quite common with some of the ceramic holders.

Most downlighter ES holders just clip in a plastic housing which then clips in the fitting hole aprox 40mm

Toolstation sell an ES downlighter for about £4 you can sometimes remove the new holder casing and wire and simply replace just the assembly into the existing light housing
Obviously isolating electric and removing fitting first.

Sounds more like part of the holder has come out rather than an adapter,
Yes, I was thinking the same ....

amateurdramatics: is there still a threaded metal part for the bulb/lamp to screw into, or are you looking at just plastic or ceramic? If the latter, then, as rocky says, the metal 'sleeve' that's been lost was probably part of the lampholder.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, you are probably right as the metal rings had two ears to locate it in the plastic/ceramic housing. However I would have thought that the part could be a standard fitting adapter. I'll check out toolstation for the housings.

Cheers all

Yup. As per John, I have had this a few times with the older Thorn fittings.

Customers have removed the old lamps, which invariably have been in for years. They have parted company from the ceramic lampholder with the metal insert that goes inside, leaving a threaded aperture too big for an E27 cap.

The best thing is to try and replace the lampholder. If it is a decent brand like Thorn, it should be relatively easy to find the part.

Otherwise you're left replacing the whole lot so they match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back