GU10 Transformers + LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced 24 halogen 50W GU10s with 7W GU10 LEDs. Currently the transformers from the previous halogens are still in place. I was planning on removing them as they are unnecessary, however I am curious as to their power consumption... does the presence of these 24 transformers consume much electricity? If so how much and is it worth removing them?

Sponsored Links
GU10s don't require a transformer, so did you have 12V lamps in previous before the 24no 50W GU10s?

12V vs 240V
Both will use about the same amount of electricity.
You will have heat losses from the transformer and the transformers require ventilation and are more costly to install.
ELV lamps have a longer live span and generally give of a brighter light.
The MR16 Halogen Dichroic 50watt lamp in comparison to 50watt GU10 are cheaper to buy.
Having a transformer in place is one more failure point on the circuit.
Just some pros and cons, but over the life time of the circuit, it would be difficult to say which one was more cost effective and energy efficient, when taking all things in to consideration.

Disconnect the mains from them.

A transformer with mains connected but no lamp is operating without its minimum loading and this will stress the unit making it far more likely that component failure will occur. That failure could result in over heating and an increased risk of fire.

I would agree with bernardgreen the so called transformers are not really simple transformers but switch mode power supplies and as a result have both a max and min rating clearly with no lamp you will be under the min rating.

Sponsored Links
So would you guys recommend I remove these or just keep them there? They don't seem to be causing any problems with the LED's at the moment, but my main concern is if they are consuming extra power, in which case I will take them out?

Bernard & Eric have already said, disconnect them.

You could disconnect them and leave them there if you want ........ but why would you want to ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back