Guess the Fault.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the 70s I was employed as the engineer at an advertising agency's television studio.

One of my first jobs was in the preview theatre. The house lights were dimmed by a big Variac. The problem was that the Variac's brushes kept on burning out.

What was the fault?

Sponsored Links
If it was a wound true Variac then i expect the output load was way too high for the Variac's brushes.

Why do you ask these questions, grasshopper?

was it wired across the supply in parallel to the load?

Sponsored Links
Since Variacs are American, I guess it was rated at 110v and wired into a 240v supply?

Saying that is a bit like saying Ford is American so Ford cars are LHD. :)

Anyway the term Variac can mean any variable auto transformer.

From Wikipedia
From 1934 to 2002, Variac was a U.S. trademark of General Radio for a variable autotransformer intended to conveniently vary the output voltage for a steady AC input voltage. In 2004, Instrument Service Equipment applied for the Variac trademark for the same type of product. The term has acquired the status of a genericized trademark and is often used to describe similar variable autotransformers made by other makers.

The transformer in question was rated for 240v.

Ok, running out of ideas now.

All I can think of is it was wired in reverse. But it wouldn't dim fully then, unless the primary winding was set quite low?

Was this problem there from instalation or appeared after being ok for years?

Incorrect grade of brush fitted or not bedded in correctly or combination of both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back