Guitar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have 9 guitars, a bass guitar and a banjo. I've played in many bands (nothing famous). I still play and record in my spare room which is set up as a kind of studio.
I still have my 100watt and 150watt HH amps that i used in the bands. But i mainly use my fender champ12 (valve) for recording and jamming.

My fave guitar is a Gibson 'the paul deluxe' which is an absolute belter. It is by far the best guitar i'll ever own. I have a boss gt6, for all my effects needs, which is a bit digital but sounds great through the valve amp.

Anyone else rocking out ? Watcha got ? Watcha done ? I'll post some pics up, of me gear, if you show me yours.....ha.

Sponsored Links
""I still play and record in my spare room which is set up as a kind of studio. ""

Hi, EB1CB. Glad I don't live next door.

I play spanish guitar, and uke, badly.

Sponsored Links
Hi jossizy, lol.... i live in a detatched house so things are cool with neighbours. If i go 'full on' then it is normally only for half hour or so. And never late at night.
You looking to get playing better ? or happy as you are ?

hi, nice post, got any idees for an old geizer that wants to start to learn?

Hi Sombrero,
Just keep playing really. Experiment with what you know. Finger picking chords can sound like you're playing a lot more than you actually are.
You tube is good for tutorials. Theres a lot of good short vids well explained and easy to follow.

My problem is sore fingers, and brittle nails.

I suppose If I were more regular, I could harden off the fingers but the nails?

Ok. If you don't play all that much then put lighter strings on the guitar. You'll lose a little volume but you wont have to press down so hard. Keep your nails short.
Just keep playing. Play till your fingers hurt so much that you have to stop. Play a chord ......Am.....hold the strings down. Keep playing the chord. Gradually relax your hand. Keep playing the chord with your hand as relaxed as you can but still getting a clear Am. No string buzzes. Practice this for just a few minutes each time you play. Practice lifting off one finger and hammering it back down into its required position whilst continuing to pick the other notes of the chord.
Sing as you play. It helps you keep good time. If you don't wanna sing tap your foot. This will give you good timing too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJjWcGzdhBA

I've been playing for 18 months (treated my self to a nice Yamaha acoustic)
and followed this guys tutorial. It's amazing how many songs the patterns fit.
Loads of tabs and chords on line. I use Your Chords.
Fingers were painful at first, but now ok. Try using finger picks instead of relying on nails. It is a matter of preference. There are 100's of songs written using only 3 chords. It does become boring so simply learn more.

Did somebody say Guitar, love em, playing them, looking at them, touching them....
Did have 4 electrics - musicman ball family reserve, epi les paul, fender 52 tele and a 60's vibe start
Acoustics - my cheapie which i have strung in nashville tuning, a knackered manuel rodriguez nylon, an epi masterbuilt dreadnought and a cole clark FL2.

At the moment just got the tele, 60's vibe start, cole clark, nylon and my cheapie nashville tuned acoustic.
Got a rhode NT1a condenser mic, fatar grand touch midi keyboard, line 6 pod, boss delay pedal, boss compression sustainer pedal, tc electronics tuner pedal, boss keeley modded blues driver and a blackstar ht dual. A fender DRRI amp, behringer multi DI, MBox 2 and a koa tenor ukulele.

Have played for two singer songwriters with deals and am currently playing in a country, acoustic and americana band but we've got issues at the moment!
Shortly due to write and record some music thats going into an independant film that will be released quite soon and i'm in the film playing live in a scene, the film is called 4am.

Love music, love guitars, if anyone ever needs any help hit me up, but bear in mind i'm not a theory technical type of player but i am quite experienced, know a great luthier who builds amazing guitars called Joe white, he will build to spec anything you want

I have bought and am currently trying to learn the guitar. I'm in my 30s and never played a musical instrument before - not the most musical of people, so expecting this to be a challenge. Originally bought one to learn with my 6yr old who asked for one last Christmas in the hope that he'd learn more easily if we learnt together - he picks it up every now and again, but at his age his attention span is short and i'm not intending to push him with it. I'm hoping if I can start and play something he enjoys listening to, that'll spur him on to try and learn to do it himself.

All the tips above and links to youtube (there are hundreds of video lessons on there) are useful - the link above has helped me because i've been learning chords and practising changing between them but the fingerpicking shown in the video means that pretty quickly i've been able to play something which is vaguely nice to listen to. Helps to keep my interest and I think the rest of the family are pleased to hear something other than just me strumming different chords.

Keep the tips coming - all very gratefully received!! :)

Sponsored Links
Back