Gully drain help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Here is my situation. Where I say 'I have' I mean my other half has! I have attached (I hope) a drawn diagram.

The outside gully is blocked. It is draining, but slowly.

I have scooped out all the water and removed all the debris. It only seems to have one hole, near the top, as in my diagram. I thought the hole would be to the left (as I look at the diagram), but it is at the front (purple blob). It must turn left at some point though.

I cannot get my hands or a rod into this hole but have tried a hosepipe which caused it to fill up but did eventually drain away. This doesn’t seem to be the traditional "get your hands down and round the u-bend type" that I have read about.

I have rodded from inspection hatch (a) to inspection hatch (b) along pipe (1) and it was completely clear.

I have rodded from inspection hatch (b) along pipe (2) in the direction indicated. It ended at some point, whether a blockage or just the “end of the road”. I did free some oily black sludge.

When I put the hosepipe down the front drive drainage channel (c) it fills up the gully but does seem to drain through pipe (1) slowly.

I think the whole thing seems to drain through pipe (1) but it is difficult to tell as everything is going so slowly.

So...
1. Can anyone advise me what’s happening between the gully and front drive drainage channel (where I’ve put the question mark).
2. What is the purpose of pipe (2)?
3. What should I do next? Should I be considering using my pressure washer through the hole out of the gulley or should I now be paying a professional?

Thank you very much.

View media item 44675

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate I can't read all the details on your sketch.

I'd think you've got a blocked gully as a result of kitchen grease, so yes if you can get your power washer hose down the pipe that leaves the gully, that should do the job. Nasty stuff kitchen grease, it smells worse than toilet waste & is a bugger for causing blocked drains.
HTH

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say whats going on without being on site to try and ascertain the drain runs on site. Hole near top of gully sounds odd, some types have a rodding eye though. Do you mean rods wont fit through this hole or they go through but hit something solid?

Pipe 2 could easily go to the gully, or to a vent, or a dead end, impossible to tell from here. The oily sludge you describe could be part of the problem though, build up of grease, soap and other crud. Keep plugging away at pipe 2 as you describe, with gulley kept topped up with water. If this is the problem the water will help wash the crud through. Failing that it may be time to call someone in. :(

Hi. I've attached another diagram.

View media item 44692
The kitchen pipe runs into this. Its a cylindrical "pot" - I've got my hand in and removed the debris - but there are no pipes out of the bottom.

There is an outlet near the top but I couldn't get a rod (or much of my hand in) due to how close it is to the house wall (approx 8-10 inches)

The outlet near the top is either a rodding eye, back inlet connection or a hole thats been knocked out the pot at some stage! Can you get an arm to the bottom of the pot and have a feel around? If the gully is the tradional type then the outlet will be at the bottom, going back upwards to form a water seal before the drain. Only way to find it (other than digging around to see whats what) is by feel unfortunately.

I have had my hand in - it was horrible! I scooped out all the water with a tin can and the gunk with my hand and when that was done it just felt like a ceramic or earthenware pot sunk in the concrete. Nothing at the bottom.

I could try again tomorrow, scooping all the water and stuff out. If I get it empty enough I could take a photo I guess.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

100% agree with Hugh.

If its clay / saltglaze then the outlet will be at the bottom of the pot to form a trap.

If you havent got any drain gauntlets then put a couple of bin bags over your arm to have a feel around.

Okay, I admit it. I was wrong. The gunk and the smell must've altered my perception! The outlet is at the bottom(ish). I've revised my picture (which is worth 1000 words) accordingly...

View media item 44772
The problem is that I can't get my (small) hand round because of the angle to the wall. The outlet is 180 degress to the wall so as I try to get my hand in I scape my elbow on the brick wall.

Is it safe to put my pressure washer hose down? I've never used it by the way - got it free with my car insurance abot 4 years ago...

Thanks as always people.

Sadly, the pressure washer hose trick didn't work.
Also my home-made glove (bin bag) got a leak in it and so I'll probably get an infection in the cut on my hand.
Not a good day for DIY. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back