Gully drain help please

May well be time to admit defeat and get someone in. Trying to sort out drains without decent PPE is not advised, you simply do not know what is lurking down there. :confused: I certainly wouldn't put my hand in without gauntlets on. To a certain degree you are safer so far as its your drain, dealing with someone elses drains, and there's no telling what could be in there - needles/glass/acid drain cleaners/anything..... :eek:

Sponsored Links
I think you're right. Thanks for all your help (and everyone else who contributed). It would've helped if I could have worked out how the gully in question connects to everything else.

Thanks again everyone.

A soup ladle and serving spoon are ideal for clearing gullies.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Gullies dont often block in the pipework as they only take water, not solid waste. Once the pipework is clear, it may be possible to see where the gully runs to by running some water down it and observing if the water appears at the manhole. Drain testing dye sometimes helps with this.

That is assuming the drain is actually connected and not running to an old soakaway (or even straight into the ground.....)! Worst case scenario, it'll have to be excavated to expose the gully and pipework to ascertain what is actually going on. It's not unknown for old clay pipes to have cracked or come apart at the joints and to be full of tree roots. With a plentiful supply of moisture these minature roots entwine making a solid ball, completely blocking the pipework..... :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back