Gunge...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours recently extended their two storey house upwards alongside my four storey house, so both houses are now the same size. We now have a rather unusual structural situation where for the first two storeys of our houses we share a party wall, while for the top two stories we have parallel walls with a very small gap between - i.e. they built upwards alongside my wall when they extended. The houses are very old (more than 200 years).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, they caused some cracking at the bottom of my upper wall (i.e the one that is now parallel to theirs) and before they finished doing their roof there was some water leakage through the crack. That dried up once the roof was finished. However, I came back from holiday to see that some sort of gunge had oozed through the crack - it was a brownish colour, and it soon dried out into a type of resin.

Anyone got any idea what this could be? Could it be an injected damp proof course? I know that the easy answer would be to ask my neighbours, but they only speak Portuguese, and relations haven't been great between us since they knocked a chuffing great hole in my living room wall...!

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back