gurgling noise coming from pipe entering pump

• Thread starter moviemakernow
  • Start date
M

moviemakernow

Hi,

Hoping some one can help with this problem. I recently had by CH boiler replaced. The old potterton RS 40 was replaced by a Vailant Eco Tech 418.

Work was done by a Gas safe registered plumber. He did most of the plumbing fine and replaced the boilers! However then things went a bit mad! He messed up the controls! It was a simple Y plan vented system so all he needed to do was add the pump over run wire to the exiting controls . Instead he rewired it from scratch and was not able to get it working again! he had 2 other mates come take a look and after changing the room stat and the cylinder stat left me with a system that would only work with both CH and HW not with either or as it was before. He made 2 more attempts over the next week but then gave up telling me my 3 way Valve was the problem and would need replacing!

By this time as you can imagine I'd had enough paid him his money and simply asked him to leave. I just could not afford any more time off to have him keep trying to get it right.

With a little help from Honeywell who sent me a wiring diagram for the Y plan wiring I simply striped out the wiring a re did it to their instructions and it worked first time! was able to select CH or HW or Both as before.

It would appear the Plumber had simply got the 3 way Valve wiring mixed up and failed to fit the HW off link on the timer controls.

Ok you would think that's it all done. Well not so. The system had been running for a few days and I've bled it a few times to remove the air. I had to do this as I'd asked the plumber to leave! Yes I know my own fault!

The problem I now have is that I'm getting a gurgling sound from the pipe that flows into the pump. If I switch the pump to the second speed setting the gurgling stops but the pump is louder. When I return the pump to the first speed all is well for a short time but then eventually the gurgling returns. Has anyone come across this before?

The system was fully power flushed when the boiler was changes air vets were fitted and the whole system has been fully bled several times. I'm unable to get any air from pump or radiator bleed nipples.

Would welcome any feedback as to how to solve this. Very happy with the boiler working well system all hot and house nice and warm.

Just need to sort out the gurgling problem. :)

Sponsored Links
you say it is a vented system

go up and look at the F&E tank to see if it is pumping over. it might happen when the pump is running and a valve closes; or when the pump first starts, or at some other time. You can put a jar or bottle under the vent pipe and come back later to see if it has water in it, or some people tie a rag round the vent and see if it gets wet.

you have added inhibitor, after cleaning the system? and have vented all the rads? do any of them get more air in them after they have been vented?

is the flow from the pump going upwards or downwards?

so on one thread were all over paid under experienced tossers but on this thread were all here to help you, jesus mate make your mind up :evil:

Sponsored Links
you say it is a vented system

go up and look at the F&E tank to see if it is pumping over. it might happen when the pump is running and a valve closes; or when the pump first starts, or at some other time. You can put a jar or bottle under the vent pipe and come back later to see if it has water in it, or some people tie a rag round the vent and see if it gets wet.

you have added inhibitor, after cleaning the system? and have vented all the rads? do any of them get more air in them after they have been vented?

is the flow from the pump going upwards or downwards?

Thanks for the feedback. Problem was solved by a local retired plumber. The flow rate was too low apparently as the replacement boiler was over sized for the system. Original was 12Kw and had been replaced by an 18Kw unit. He fitted a new pump and system is now working fine. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back