Gurgling noise from Kitchen sink.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've had this problem for a few months now, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. We live in the ground floor of a four-storey block of flats of modern-ish construction (circa 1980). We recently had to have some fairly major work done to replace a collapsed waste pipe leading from the block to the sewer. (Upstairs neighbours' waste water coming up through our toilet & bath - delightful!)

That's all sorted now, however since it was fixed we've been getting some rather loud gurgling noises coming up from the kitchen sink. These can happen at any and all times of day, though mostly in the evening; I expect this is when the neighbours flush the loo, let out sink & bath water, etc. The loudness varies considerably from faint & distant to such a racket we have to turn the volume up on the telly. Also, a pretty foul smell seeps up at about 8:15 am every weekday morning. (This one has me completely stumped)

Basically we'd like to know what the cause of this is, and what (if anything) we can do ourselves to fix it. We've got a baby on the way, so we'd like to get it sorted before he arrives and ideally without spending more than we have to.

Does anyone have any ideas here? If there's any more detail I can provide, please feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a jetter maybe needed to clear the pipes theY may have got stuff down them from the backing up into the flat, or the traps are being pulled out now the drain has been fixed back shiponage? Get a drain man in may be the drain still isnt clear may have scale deposits on the lower level (your flat).!

easiest fix would be an anti vac trap or best an hepvo trap. sounds like induced syphonage.

Sponsored Links
HepVo I'd say. As above sounds like induced syphonage, when someone else uses an appliance, the water in the drain is causing a vacuum and pulling your trap, as the air above your trap is getting sucked in to keep atmospheric pressure and to allow your neightbour's water to drain away.

HepVo
HEPVO.jpg

Replace your kitchen sink trap for one of them. Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back