Gurgling Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently had a major build work finished in the house I have noticed a couple of things in regards to drainage and was hoping someone could advise/help.

The drainage from the main bathroom in the house is quite noisy with water very clearly gurgling away as it drains out. This problem has been helped a bit having now finally got our washing machine plumbed in - originally the waste pipe to this was left open so I think this was compounding the fact air was getting into the entire system. However, the soil stack is much quieter now it still sounds like their is air being forced in the pipes under the bathroom floor.

The other day I noticed that when the bath was draining one of the drains in the back yard was gurgling and bubbling away. This drain is for the guttering at the back of the house and is about 4 metres away from the soil stack. As the house is very old and has no man hole then I assume that all the drains are on some sort of loop system and that is why it gurgles. There is another drain within a metre of the soil stack that appears very blocked (looks very like builders crud and the likes) which we are in the process of trying to clear.

So far I have arrange for a drain cleaning company to come round to the house today to clear all the drains and I hope this makes a difference. However, I was wondering if some of the blockage issues are creating this problem with the gurgling or is this more likely an issue with the venting of the soil stack (which is a brand new and installed soil stack).

Any ideas would be great - many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back