Gurgling shower waste- Any ideas?

L

longdogs

Hi

Customer said she was hearing a gurgling noise every time the loo was flushed. This is in an upstairs bathroom with toilet/shower and basin.

After a quick investigation I found that the sound was coming from the shower trap every time the loo was flushed - it sounded like an open ended waste pipe. I filled the shower trap to the top and flushed the loo and the noise stopped - only to come back after about 5 minutes.

As far as I can see there are no leaks from the shower trap and can't see why it would be due to syphonage as the bathroom has been fine for the past 3 years.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Hair down the trap acting as a wick and drawing the water out of the trap.

J

thanks jasonb, do you think that it would drain within 5 minutes though?

Sponsored Links
and shower traps have really shallow water seals :idea:

A trap full of hair won't have so much water in it to be "removed" in order that the seal breaks.

How is the soil stack vented? Open vent or AAAV?

Any birds nests in the top of the stack?

Any jammed AAAVs?

Even when working correctly, an AAAV will do nothing for positive pressure in the stack, that will just find it's way out through the weakest seal. If it can't dissipate along the drain run it will bubble up through the shallowest water trap.

It takes a negative pressure differential to open an AAAV. If the differential is larger than the depth of water in a trap will support, it will draw the trap instead of opening the AAAV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back